At Snorkel AI, we’re redefining how people and organizations build AI applications. Snorkel started as a research project in the Stanford AI Lab in 2016, creating a higher-level interface to machine learning through programmatically labeled and managed training data. From deploying in some of the world’s largest and most sophisticated tech organizations, to empowering scientists, doctors, and journalists — we’ve seen firsthand how this approach democratizes and accelerates AI. Now, we’re building Snorkel Flow to bring our technology to everyone!
Building Snorkel Flow requires outstanding engineers and technologies across the stack, including scalable data pipelines, elegant and intuitive interfaces (both visual and programmatic), state-of-the-art ML modeling techniques, and best practices for seamless deployment. Modern AI approaches require large labeled training datasets to learn from. While traditional approaches typically rely on armies of human annotators to label by hand, Snorkel Flow empowers users to programmatically label and build training data sets to drive a radically faster, more flexible, and higher quality end-to-end AI development process. Snorkel Flow is an end-to-end development platform, complete with a GUI and powerful programmatic interfaces for driving the development process for full AI application workflows: from preprocessing, to programmatic training data creation, to ML model training, to analysis, and deployment. It's the data-first platform for enterprise AI.
Excited to help us redefine how AI applications are built? Apply to be the newest Snorkeler!
We are looking for a Controller to help Snorkel AI take the next step in its growth. We're looking for someone who has the experience and vision to build an outstanding finance department and loves being part of a start-up team.
As Snorkel AI's Controller, you will build and lead the accounting organization. You and your team will be responsible for day-to-day accounting & finance operation efforts in building systems and processes from the ground up to support us as our business scales rapidly. You’ll partner across departments to collaborate between the Finance team and other teams. You will bring continued accuracy, efficiency, and quality to our finance department.
- Handle the preparation of financial reports, compile financial documents, and ensure general compliance
- Completing month-end financial close process, improving close schedule and ensuring timely and accurate statements. This includes tasks from bookkeeping to journal entries to revenue recognition and account reconciliations
- Lead Snorkel through internal and external reviews and audits including SOC2 and GRC
- Handle annual and other tax return requirements; prepare tax schedules and answer tax inquiries
- Make and implement recommendations to improve and enforce to accounting policies and procedures
- Recognize use of financial data and metrics to measure results and devise strategies for improvements
- Assist in annual budget planning across all departments, as well as company budget variance analysis
- Represent Snorkel in an outward-facing role with contractors and vendors as you lead A/P, and with customers as you handle A/R
- Design and own company accounting systems
- Structure, recruit, and direct a team of accountants and specialists
- Execute on ad hoc projects
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance, ideally a CPA
- Background with Big 4 Accounting or other large public accounting firm
- 8+ years of accounting experience
- Ability to deliver excellent work on time
- Experience with an enterprise accounting system such as NetSuite or Intacct
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Revenue recognition experience with enterprise contracts, SaaS experience and/or ASC606 is a huge plus
- Desire to work in an exciting, fast-paced environment
The salary range for our Tier 1 locations of San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles & New York is $250,000.00 - $315,000.00.
Be Your Best At Snorkel
Snorkel AI is on a mission to make machine learning practical for everyone, and it starts with building a team that welcomes, represents and gives opportunity to all. We work at the frontier of AI and software engineering, and believe that underrepresented communities need to play a part in shaping the future of these fields. At Snorkel AI, we actively work to create an environment that values end-to-end ownership, diverse forms of impact, and opportunities for personal growth.
Snorkelers are supported by an amazing team and an amazing set of benefits. We offer comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans for Snorkelers and their families, plus a yearly wellness stipend. Our 401k program lets Snorkelers plan for their future and our parental leave program lets new parents take up to 20 weeks of paid time off. Learn more about these benefits and more — like our workstation setup allowance — on our Careers page.
Snorkel AI is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Snorkel AI embraces diversity and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. Snorkel AI prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, performance, merit, and business need.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.