PayJoy is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping a billion people around the world step into the modern financial system for the first time and supporting them on a path to financial success. Founded in 2015, PayJoy’s “secret sauce” technology turns a smartphone into collateral to jumpstart unbanked consumers into the credit system. We reached profitability in 2020 and are growing 3x annually, reaching 4 million happy customers and over a billion dollars of sales in 2022.
The Corporate Counsel will join a global Legal & Compliance function to provide legal and regulatory support to the business in Colombia and Peru. This role will provide legal advice on the day-to-day business as well as on a wide range of corporate legal and compliance matters, including but not limited to general legal counseling, reviewing contracts with partners, drafting and updating product terms and conditions, supporting new and existing product development and marketing, managing all legal and contractual relationships as well as implementation and execution of compliance controls related to Colombia & Peru regulatory obligations. This position reports to the General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer.
- Partner with cross-functional business leaders helping them make smart decisions by issue spotting and utilizing legal experience and expertise to bear on the complicated problems we are trying to solve. Serve as a trusted business partner in identifying business risks, communicating them, and escalating them as needed.
- Work closely and build relationships with various internal teams to analyze and communicate legal risks, provide legal advice, and support such teams in relation to various operational, product, analytics, and marketing matters.
- Review, negotiate and draft a wide range of agreements from functional units within the organization.
- Coordinate and manage outside counsel.
- Work closely and advice the Capital Market Team.
- Coordinate and conduct additional ad hoc Legal & Compliance assignments while maintaining the highest ethical standards.
- Monitoring ongoing changes in law and industry regulatory to ensure overall program compliance.
- Reviewing and evaluating company procedures and reports to identify hidden risks or common issues.
- Law degree with admission to practice law in Colombia.
- 8+ years of progressive relevant work experience with general corporate matters and strong background in lending and Capital Market in either a law firm and/or in-house positions.
- Proactive, organized, self-motivated and self-disciplined work ethic, with the ability to re-prioritize in a deadline-intensive environment when faced with competing pressures and demands on time.
- Ability to interface professionally and effectively with all levels of personnel internally and externally, up to and including senior executives and other key personnel.
- Interest in developing a deep understanding of business needs and objectives with a close partnership with business clients.
- Strong communication skills to deal with internal and external constituencies, including the senior business leaders, outside counsel, regulatory officials, counterparts at other companies and industry representatives.
- Self-motivated, drive to excel, motivation and ability to master diverse sets of skills, regulatory areas of the law and business strategies/operations, strong client orientation.
- Advanced-level legal drafting and negotiation skills and excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Cross-border or international experience, preferably with experience in Latin America, especially Peru and Colombia.
- Experience working for financial services and/or a tech company desired; general business savvy is required.
- Medical insurance plan for the employee and immediate family
- Annual fitness benefit
- Annual professional development benefit
- Annual international travel benefit
- Company holidays, paid vacation, and sick time
PayJoy is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and we welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Finance for the next billion * Ownership * Break Through Walls * Live Communication * Transparency & Directness * Focus on Scale * Work-Life Balance * Embrace Diversity * Speed