Gem’s mission is to help companies hire great teams. Our talent engagement platform enables recruiting teams to build relationships that lead to diverse, high-quality talent pipelines, a great candidate experience, and predictable hiring at any scale. By creating a source of truth for all relationships with talent, Gem can automate personalized outreach, while also generating insights about the entire recruiting process.
Our customers are savvy recruiting teams from industry-leading companies — like Dropbox, Grammarly, Doordash, Cisco, McDonalds — who understand that getting the best talent in the market is key to maintaining their competitive advantage.
With funding from key investors such as, ICONIQ, Greylock, Sapphire, and Accel, Gem has recently been recognized with Unicorn status, with a $1.2B valuation — becoming one of the fastest-growing SaaS companies at its scale. And just as we strive to help our customers find great talent, we also invest in our own people and culture. We are proud of the culture we’ve built and have recently been recognized as:
- Certified as a Great Place to work, 2022
- Y Combinator Top Companies, 2022
- Fortune Best Workplaces in the Bay Area, 2022
The Team & Role
We’re looking for self-motivated Legal team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves (no job too big or too small) and help realize Gem’s enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow; you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact. In our work together we aim to be humble and collaborative, and we try to toss a little fun in the mix:). And, we’re just getting started. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
As Director, Product and Regulatory Legal, you will have the opportunity to join our small, but growing, legal department (you’ll be the third lawyer!) and be a full participant in projects impacting areas across the business. In this role, you will report directly to the General Counsel. We are seeking an experienced legal professional who has a strong track record of acting as a trusted business advisor to a broad range of internal cross-functional teams within the SaaS industry, and enjoys building programs and processes from scratch to drive business results and consistency, while mitigating legal risk. An ideal candidate will lead with empathy, have a growth mindset (always evaluating consumer, customer, employee impact), will feel comfortable providing practical and risk-based solutions, and is committed to collaborative and proactive problem-solving. A great sense of humor is also appreciated:)
What you'll do day to day:
- Identify and resolve wide-ranging legal issues, including privacy, data security, intellectual property, regulatory, and licensing, working directly with business clients to provide on-the-ground support.
- Review products, features, and initiatives to assess legal compliance across multiple jurisdictions, from the early stages of product development through launch.
- Provide solution-focused privacy guidance to product, commercial business, engineering, and other cross-functional teams to support product innovation while, making privacy a competitive differentiator for Gem.
- Refine, enhance, and scale company-wide privacy compliance operating processes, including maintenance of privacy training program, data maps, data impact assessments, privacy-by-design and privacy-by-default reviews, risk assessments, transfer impact assessments, compliance memos, and data subject response processes.
- Support Commercial Legal and other teams in customer, partner, and vendor negotiations related to privacy and product matters, including by providing regular training, developing privacy templates and playbooks, and providing direct deal support for strategic negotiations. Identify and drive initiatives to streamline privacy negotiations with customers, partners, and vendors.
- Stay informed of changes and developments in laws, regulations, standards and guidance applicable to recruiting SaaS and update business practices/processes accordingly.
- Act as a utility player, working across a variety of projects and teams, and handle special projects, as requested.
- A J.D. or LL.B (or foreign equivalent) and membership in at least one U.S. state bar
- 7+ years of legal experience, at a law firm and/or in-house advising on global privacy and/or product matters related to the B2B SaaS industry;
- Working knowledge of privacy and/or product issues impacting the HR tech industry, such as self-regulatory/compliance guidelines, data privacy and cybersecurity issues and legislation, AI and machine learning, etc.
- Experience devising or implementing processes and controls designed to mitigate legal risk;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, business judgment, flexibility, analytical skills, and attention to detail
- Experience advising a wide variety of cross-functional partners, like sales, marketing, product, and engineering stakeholders; demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional projects, drive alignment, and deliver results
- A privacy certification (e.g., CIPP/US, CIPP/E, CIPM) is a plus
Gem is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our inclusive work environment and encourage folks of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply. At Gem, we’re committed to having an inclusive and transparent environment where every voice is heard and acknowledged. We embrace our differences, and know that our diverse team is a strength that drives our success.
Gem is committed to developing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. If you require any accommodation, please email us at email@example.com and we’ll work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
For roles based in New York City, NY and San Francisco, CA out of our HQs, the base salary hiring range for this position is $273,125 - $287,500. Compensation offered will be determined by factors such as location, level, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Certain roles may be eligible for variable compensation, equity, and benefits.
This role is eligible for remote work.
Gem’s Candidate Privacy Notice
By clicking “Submit Application”, you acknowledge and agree that you have read and understand Gem’s Candidate Privacy Statement
, including the information provided on how Gem processes your personal data and your related rights as set forth therein.