Curated is on a mission to help people find exactly what they’re looking for
Whether it’s your first snowboard, a brand new baby stroller, or a much needed upgrade to your coffee machine – shopping is hard when the stakes are high. We make it easy by connecting customers with Real Experts who can answer their needs faster.
Curated is the home of America’s biggest community of Real Experts
Real Experts aren’t sales assistants. They’re people living ordinary lives, who also happen to be obsessively passionate about something. They have real, on-the-ground, lived experience — they’re not proficient in tennis, they’re fluent in it.
Making high-stakes purchases easier is only the beginning
Our Real Experts connect with customers in ways that would be unimaginable in any other retail context. They work hard to understand your needs, trade stories, help make plans, and keep in touch.
It’s why customers are obsessed with Curated – and why our Real Experts have a 4.96 average star rating over 85,000+ reviews.
Curated Engineering Teams periodically hire for a variety of different roles. Apply to join our talent community and be considered as relevant positions open up!
Engineering at Curated is all about impact
We’re a tightly-knit team focused on writing elegant, scale-friendly code to solve real business challenges and unlock our next phase of product growth. We promote a collaborative engineering culture, where everyone’s voice is heard and everyone is encouraged to be a product manager. Our fast-paced environment requires someone who is humble, willing to learn from others and has an open mind when discussing and proposing new ideas.
In terms of technology, we work on our modern stack using TypeScript, React, GraphQL, Java, Elastic Search, and MongoDB. We're docker-friendly, employ a host of open-source software and take our code quality very seriously. We move quickly, get to work on interesting and challenging problems, and deploy our production applications and backend services daily.
While most of our developers naturally gravitate toward a focus area, we encourage team members to operate with a full-stack mindset and to pursue projects that will help to expand their general excellence as engineers.
Our work is typically divided across a few key product verticals:
- Consumer: Curated.com. Consumer Engineers are typically very data attentive, focused on building diversified growth flywheels and user-centric innovations.
- Expert: Expert Engineers build the product and technology that enables experts to connect with customers in real-time, empower them with intelligent insights, and optimize supply and demand in the marketplace.
- Platform: Platform Engineers focus on core systems that drive scale and efficiency, including everything from machine learning solutions to physical inventory management.
- Growth: Growth Engineers work cross-functionally to drive acquisition, activation, and retention of consumers, experts, and partners.
- Data: The Data Team works across all groups to ensure that we understand our users and build meaningful machine learning solutions that help to provide a highly customized experience for every individual.
Why you'll love working here
- Inspiring experts. Everything we do is to make our experts successful. When our experts are successful, our customers have an amazing experience and get products they love. Our experts are students, firefighters, teachers, stay-at-home moms, golf pros, authors, retired restaurant managers, and more.
- The product. When an expert and a customer click, the end result is magical.
- Fantastic team. Led by industry veterans with multiple successful exits under their belts, we’re a small, tightly-knit team of innovators, creators, and builders.
- High trust culture. We seek to enable team members with minimal red tape. We operate from the assumption that our teammates are well-intentioned and chasing high-impact challenges.
How we interview
Our interview process varies by team, but we always commit to transparent and timely communication. We know that interviewing takes time, energy, and commitment, so we do our best to facilitate a fulfilling and high-context experience. For Engineering, our interview process typically goes something like this:
- Recruiter Screen. An introductory call allows us to learn about your background and interests, while also sharing a bit about Curated and screening for surface-level skills alignment.
- Hiring Manager Interview. One of our hiring leads conducts a conversational deep-dive into your prior experience and interests. You can expect to discuss past projects and often hypothetical problem-solving on these calls. These calls are typically 45 minutes to an hour long.
- Coding Screen. A team member walks through a live / paired programming exercise via a virtual whiteboard. These calls are usually 45 minutes long.
- "Face to Face" Technical Interviews. Next, we’ll typically arrange a series of 45-minute round-robin interviews. These technical interviews focus on different aspects of the role. We’ll let you know who you’re meeting in advance, and commonly evaluate the following:
- System Design
- API Design
- Technical Communication
- “Face to Face” Stakeholder Interviews. As the final step in our process, we generally set up meetings with a couple of senior leaders and/or key stakeholders from adjacent functions. These calls focus on business understanding, culture/values, and collaboration.
From there, we typically take a more open approach to ensure that all of your questions have been answered and that our team is likewise comfortable moving forward!
Here are a few general guidelines that will help you to be successful throughout your interview experience:
- Get to know our space. If you’re not already familiar with e-commerce, gig-economy companies, or marketplaces, spend some time familiarizing yourself with these topics and exploring our platform. Don’t worry about bothering experts for their time; they’re compensated for conversations and will be happy to connect.
- Past projects can provide a ton of insight into your skills, expertise, and history of delivering impressive products or features. Prepare to go into detail on past projects that demonstrate your range of skills. How might you change your approach if you did the same project today?
- Think out loud. We’re very interested in understanding your thought process - how you break down problems, set goals, choose success metrics, prioritize features, etc.
- Collaboration is critical at Curated. Be prepared to talk about experiences working directly with stakeholders with different perspectives; engineers, designers, executives, users, etc.
- Ask questions. A great way of demonstrating engagement and critical thinking skills is by asking poignant questions.
Skills and Qualifications
Job requirements vary by team and role, but we generally see a few themes among our strongest candidates for Engineering roles.
- Culture and Values Alignment. Every new hire moves our company culture by one game piece, either reinforcing aspects of our existing culture or moving us in a new direction.
- Passion. We care a lot about our business, and we are looking for people who are inspired by what we do. Our goals are to eliminate buyer's remorse and to enable passionate experts to monetize their knowledge. We want missionaries, not mercenaries!
- Problem-Solving Skills. We're a startup, which means we have limited resources and big challenges, some of which are fundamentally unique. We look for people who prioritize high-impact opportunities and identify viable solutions to tricky problems. We’ve seen excellent problem-solving skills across diverse candidate backgrounds, ranging from:
- Startup experience, such as shipping under tight deadlines and working effectively with limited resources.
- Depth. We look for proven experience and people who have "done it before."
- We are especially excited about candidates who have role-relevant product engineering experience, at scale, at consumer technology companies.
- Analytical Skills. Data informs almost every meaningful decision that we make at Curated. We look for people who are comfortable tying together datasets, building thoughtful models, and cutting through the noise to drive positive impact.
- Leadership. We have an entrepreneurial culture built on collective trust. Every employee at Curated is an owner and is the subject matter expert for some piece of the bigger picture. We look for people who take pride in their work.
- Collaboration. Most of our work is cross-functional, and we will only be successful if we continue to work well together. We are a low-ego, low-bureaucracy, flat organization, focused on coming together to solve novel challenges.
While these qualifications are typical of a strong candidate, they are not exhaustive and not required unless noted. We take a holistic approach to hiring and would love to connect if this sounds interesting to you!
Curated was founded in 2017 to humanize online shopping. Backed by Forerunner, Greylock, and CapitalG, we’ve built a collaborative shopping experience brought to life by passionate experts. Every shopper on Curated gets one-on-one personalized advice to find the perfect product, so they can enjoy more of what they love.
Through our expert community, Curated has created a new type of knowledge economy that enables people to earn meaningful income by sharing their expertise, from anywhere.
Curated is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply, as we strive to build a marketplace that serves every demographic with the highest level of quality and respect.