Curated is on a mission to help people find exactly what they’re looking for
Whether it’s your first snowboard, a brand new baby stroller, or a much needed upgrade to your coffee machine – shopping is hard when the stakes are high. We make it easy by connecting customers with Real Experts who can answer their needs faster.
Curated is the home of America’s biggest community of Real Experts
Real Experts aren’t sales assistants. They’re people living ordinary lives, who also happen to be obsessively passionate about something. They have real, on-the-ground, lived experience — they’re not proficient in tennis, they’re fluent in it.
Making high-stakes purchases easier is only the beginning
Our Real Experts connect with customers in ways that would be unimaginable in any other retail context. They work hard to understand your needs, trade stories, help make plans, and keep in touch.
It’s why customers are obsessed with Curated – and why our Real Experts have a 4.96 average star rating over 85,000+ reviews.
Curated Design Teams periodically hire for a variety of different roles. Apply to join our talent community and be considered as relevant positions open up!
Designers at Curated push the boundaries of what’s possible in the conversational e-commerce space.
We partner with the Engineering and Product teams to translate product requirements into innovative designs that achieve measurable results, crafting thoughtful user flows, interactions, and solutions. We bring conceptual ideas to life with pixel-perfect, user-centered solutions.
Like Product and Engineering, members of the Design Team typically focus on a specific aspect of the Curated product (though we all tend to share ideas, collaborate, and jump in across these areas as needed):
- Consumer: Curated.com. Consumer Designers are typically very data attentive, focused on building diversified growth flywheels and user-centric innovations.
- Expert: Expert Designers build the product and technology that enables experts to connect with customers in real-time, empower them with intelligent insights, and optimize supply and demand in the marketplace.
- Platform: Platform Designers tend to be more technical. We focus on core systems that drive scale and efficiency, including everything from machine learning solutions to physical inventory management.
- Growth: Growth Designers work cross-functionally to drive acquisition, activation, and retention of consumers, experts, and partners.
Why you'll love working here
- Inspiring experts. Everything we do is to make our experts successful. When our experts are successful, our customers have an amazing experience and get products they love. Our experts are students, firefighters, teachers, stay-at-home moms, golf pros, authors, retired restaurant managers, and more.
- The product. When an expert and a customer click, the end result is magical.
- Fantastic team. Led by industry veterans with multiple successful exits under their belts, we’re a small, tightly-knit team of innovators, creators, and builders.
- High trust culture. We seek to enable team members with minimal red tape. We operate from the assumption that our teammates are well-intentioned and chasing high-impact challenges.
How we interview
Our interview process varies by team, but we always commit to transparent and timely communication. We know that interviewing takes time, energy, and commitment, so we do our best to facilitate a fulfilling and high-context experience. For Design Teams, our interview process typically goes something like this:
- Recruiter Screen. An introductory call allows us to learn about your background and interests, while also sharing a bit about Curated and screening for surface-level skills alignment.
- Hiring Manager Interview. A member of the hiring team conducts a deeper technical dive. You can expect to discuss past projects and often hypothetical problem-solving on these calls. These calls are typically 45 minutes to an hour long.
- "Face to Face" Interviews. Next, we’ll typically arrange a series of 45-minute round-robin interviews. These technical interviews focus on different aspects of the role and often include relevant stakeholders from adjacent functions. We’ll let you know who you’re meeting in advance, and commonly evaluate the following:
- Business acumen
- Analytical thinking
- Communication skills
- Presentation. For many Design roles, we conclude with a case study, in which you’ll respond to an offline prompt with a small, self-contained work sample, and then present your solution to a small panel of team members.
From there, we typically take a more open approach to ensure that all of your questions have been answered and that our team is likewise comfortable moving forward!
Here are a few general guidelines that will help you to be successful throughout your interview experience:
- Get to know our space. If you’re not already familiar with e-commerce, gig-economy companies, or marketplaces, spend some time familiarizing yourself with these topics and exploring our platform. Don’t worry about bothering experts for their time; they’re compensated for conversations and will be happy to connect.
- Past projects can provide a ton of insight into your skills, expertise, and history of delivering impressive products or features. Prepare to go into detail on past projects that demonstrate your range of skills. How might you change your approach if you did the same project today?
- Think out loud. We’re very interested in understanding your thought process - how you break down problems, set goals, choose success metrics, prioritize features, etc.
- Collaboration is critical at Curated. Be prepared to talk about experiences working directly with stakeholders with different perspectives; engineers, designers, executives, users, etc.
- Ask questions. A great way of demonstrating engagement and critical thinking skills is by asking poignant questions.
Skills and Qualifications
Job requirements vary by team and role, but we generally see a few themes among our strongest candidates for Marketing & Creative roles.
- Culture and Values Alignment. Every new hire moves our company culture by one game piece, either reinforcing aspects of our existing culture or moving us in a new direction.
- Passion. We care a lot about our business, and we are looking for people who are inspired by what we do. Our goals are to eliminate buyer's remorse and to enable passionate experts to monetize their knowledge. We want missionaries, not mercenaries!
- Problem-Solving Skills. We're a startup, which means we have limited resources and big challenges, some of which are fundamentally unique. We look for people who prioritize high-impact opportunities and identify viable solutions to tricky problems.
- Depth. We look for proven experience and people who have "done it before."
- We are especially excited about candidates who have role-relevant strategic leadership experience, at scale, in retail, e-commerce, or three-sided marketplaces.
- Analytical Skills. Data informs almost every meaningful decision that we make at Curated. We look for people who are comfortable tying together datasets, building thoughtful models, and cutting through the noise to drive positive impact.
- Leadership. We have an entrepreneurial culture built on collective trust. Every employee at Curated is an owner and is the subject matter expert for some piece of the bigger picture. We look for people who take pride in their work.
- Collaboration. Most of our work is cross-functional, and we will only be successful if we continue to work well together. We are a low-ego, low-bureaucracy, flat organization, focused on coming together to solve novel challenges.
While these qualifications are typical of a strong candidate, they are not exhaustive and not required unless noted. We take a holistic approach to hiring and would love to connect if this sounds interesting to you!
Curated was founded in 2017 to humanize online shopping. Backed by Forerunner, Greylock, and CapitalG, we’ve built a collaborative shopping experience brought to life by passionate experts. Every shopper on Curated gets one-on-one personalized advice to find the perfect product, so they can enjoy more of what they love.
Through our expert community, Curated has created a new type of knowledge economy that enables people to earn meaningful income by sharing their expertise, from anywhere.
Curated is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply, as we strive to build a marketplace that serves every demographic with the highest level of quality and respect.